The Department is also involved in research, in order to meet the emerging needs of the country. The Nursing Research Steering Group (NRSG) was initiated by the Department on the 25th May 2001 by the department staff and nurse educators from the College of Nursing, University Malaya Medical Centre (UMMC) with the vision to be a pioneer in nursing research activities within the UM and UMMC. NRSG recognizes nursing needs to be transformed into a research active profession.
The Department also held research seminar monthly for nurses and student nurses throughout the year. The goal of this seminar is to provide staff and students knowledge on research process and activities. The specific objectives are to provide staff and students with opportunities to:
1. Exchange ideas on research activities among staff and students across nursing programs.
2. Share expertise on research process among staff and students across nursing programs.
3. Provide opportunity for collaboration by creating research approaches.
4. Develop inter-disciplinary research networks in order to identify new research agendas.
5. Disseminate research findings among staffs and students.