Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care
The Department is committed to provide excellent service for the University Malaya Medical Centre. With this in mind, the Department will develop in the following directions:
- The Intensive Care Unit will be expanded to a 30 bedded facility to provide for the increasing number of patients who require critical care support with increased capabilities for organ support and monitoring
- Day Surgery have been provided in 2002. It will significantly improve the efficiency of the anaesthetic services to the UMMC.
- Clinical Information Systems in Anaesthesia and Intensive Care will be installed and this will improve patient recording and information retrieval
- Anaesthetic facilities for transplantation will cater for liver and pancreatic transplantation in addition to renal transplantation. A surgical anaesthetic and medical team will train in Birmingham,UK
- Proposal for the implementation of an Advanced Warning System (AWAS) and the development of a rapid response team
- Proposal for a Joint Centre for Pain Management and Rehabilitation in UMMC.